Waking up at 7:30 on a Thursday. Why do I do this to myself?
Wedding tonight! Totally forgot to drop off my dress at the dry cleaners. “mom, I’ll go drop it off around 10 and pick up Isso’s dress, ok?”. So at 10, I head off to the dry cleaners. I always send my clothes in. The shop smells like warm fresh clothes. I love that feeling. The shopkeeper finally noticed that someone was in, came over to the counter.
- Me: “I’m picking up this dress” and hand him the receipt. He looks at me, slowly lowers his eyes to look at the receipt and starts looking for the dress on the huge moving clothes hanger.
- Shopkeeper: “here it is, that would be ---SR.” making sure he looks me straight in the eye, lowering his chin a bit. he’s not that tall.
- Me: “alright, here’s a ---SR bill.”
- SK: “we don’t have change now, make yourself comfortable in your car and I’ll bring it over” speaking slowly in a low voice with a soft Yemeni accent.
- Me: “I have this as well, I need it by 7 pm. It’s a dress.” handing him the plastic bag with my dress in it.
- SK: taking out the dress, unfolding it and holding it by the shoulders, taking a good look at it. “at 7pm? Dry clean, isn’t it? Well, I won’t be charging you extra for the same day service.” Gives me a smile while filling me the receipt. “who’s name should I write this in?”
- Me: “Asmaa”
The shopkeeper then says something in Yemeni about what a beautiful name it is or something of the sort that I didn’t understand, speaking in that Arabic i-know-you-want-me manner. I just say thank you and leave the shop. Sent the driver back in for the change.
Went to Gazzaz, apparently they don’t have lace tights, only plain stockings.
Then the supermarket, ran into my cousin. He’s having a baby, his wife’s due soon. He’s two years older than I am. Allah ybareklo.
At the hairdresser’s. Another episode of “is your hair really GREEN??! Why would you want to do that to yourself??” “Well, I was going for blue, the coiffeur was drunk”.
And finally at the wedding:
“I hope I see you married one day!”
“when are you planning on getting married?”
I liked it better when no-one wanted me to get married because I was either too young, too busy, too ugly, unfeminine, cant dance, a vegetarian and a literate. I’m still all that though.
Back to studying now!